top of page
Autism Therapy



Hope Community Charter School is committed to providing a continuum of services that offer students with disabilities the opportunity to actively participate in the learning environment with their peers. Special Education services are delivered to students in a variety of settings that include in class support, resource support, and center district programs. The level of services and support are determined by the IEP team and vary based on the individual student's educational needs.


Special Education Services are provided by the Child Study Team.  Speech and Occupational Therapy is provided through contractual agreement with private agencies.

Through the dedication and support of numerous teachers, specialists, child study teams, and paraprofessionals, students with special needs are provided access to the general education curriculum while accommodating for individual needs.


The Referral Process

  • How is a student referred for a Child Study Team Evaluation?
    Students between the ages of 3 and 21 suspected of having an educational disability may be referred to the Child Study Team for an evaluation by a variety of sources, but they generally come from one of the following:


    • Parents: Parents may request a Child Study Team Evaluation by contacting the Case  Manager at their child’s school and forwarding the request in writing.


  • Intervention and Referral Services: Intervention and Referral Services (I&RS) is a building-based inter-disciplinary group that meets regularly to provide intervention for students experiencing difficulty in the classroom. Once the PAC/I&RS has utilized its resources and determines that additional information may be necessary, or feels that the student may be potentially educationally disabled, the student may be recommended for a CST evaluation.


  • Administrators or Outside Agencies: The Principal or other building administrator or an individual from an outside agency (doctor, social worker, etc). may refer a student for a Child Study Team Evaluation.


Who are the members of the Child Study Team?
The New Jersey Department of Education requires that the Child Study Team include a school psychologist, a learning disabilities teacher consultant, and a school social worker. 

What is the procedure after the referral is made?
Once the referral has been made, the Case Manager has 20 days to schedule an Identification Meeting. The necessary personnel expected to attend this meeting would be a social worker, psychologist, learning disabilities teacher consultant, classroom teacher, speech and language specialist (if the suspected disability included that area 

or the child was age 3-5) and certainly the parent.

Are students automatically tested if the request is made?
No. Once a request for a Child Study Team evaluation is made an Identification Meeting must be scheduled. At that meeting, it is determined if a Child Study Team Evaluation is warranted and if so an Evaluation Plan is developed.

What is the procedure if the student is going to be tested?
Once it is determined that testing is necessary, an assessment plan is developed and the parent/guardian gives written permission. The district then has 90 days to complete the necessary evaluations. Within 90 days an Eligibility Conference is scheduled where the evaluations are interpreted and it is determined if the student is eligible for special education and/or related services.


If a student is eligible does that mean he or she will be in a special education class?
Absolutely not.  Before a student receives services, an Individual Education Program must be developed and agreed to.  At Hope Community Charter School, the majority of students eligible for special education services receive those services within general education classrooms and programs.


Members of the Child Study Team

Who are the members of the Child Study Team?
The members of the Child Study Team as determined by the New Jersey Department of Education are a school psychologist, a learning disabilities-teacher consultant, a school social worker, and a speech-language pathologist (when appropriate).


What are the responsibilities of the School Psychologist?
The school psychologist has expertise in determining a child’s level of cognitive and conceptual development. In addition, the psychologist is concerned with the emotional status of the student, and how both internal and external factors may affect behavior and performance in school. The school psychologist works with both general education and special education teachers to maximize a student’s potential.  In certain situations, the psychologist may also provide counseling services. 


What are the responsibilities of the Learning Disabilities-Teacher Consultant?
The learning consultant (LDT-C) is trained to determine the learning styles of students, determine specific achievement levels in a variety of content areas, and to recommend specific teaching methods and strategies that may benefit a student. This professional is generally called upon to model specific strategies and methods that may benefit students.


What are the responsibilities of the School Social Worker?
The expertise of the social worker lies in assessing the student relative to the family, the school, and the community. This professional generally gathers information concerning the student’s health, family, and school history as it pertains to the student’s current school functioning. The social worker is also the professional responsible for coordinating community resources on behalf of students and their families.

Transition Services

Hope Community Charter School is dedicated to preparing our students for a successful transition from the school environment into the adult world. Each student's individual needs are addressed in their Transition Plan within their IEP. This Transition Plan serves as a guide to help prepare the student for life after educational services culminate. 

The following resources are intended to assist students, parents, and guardians in identifying and understanding services and agencies that are accessible after leaving the school environment.  

Contact your child's teacher for more information


bottom of page